This article will give you an overview of the main map on www.gaiagps.com. It will show you how to access the map controls and where to find your Profile and Saved items.
Before we start, expand the map controls:
At any time, click this arrow to expand the map controls to show their names.
Hovering over a control icon will also briefly show its name.
1. Search Bar, Map Controls, and Saved Items
Type the name of a trail, park, peak, or any other point of interest (POI) to search for it.
You can also search using coordinates: Using coordinates to search and create waypoints.
This is where you control the visibility of your saved data at a high level.
This is also where you enable the Public Tracks Layer.
This is where you change your visible map layers.
This is where you view your saved tracks, waypoints, etc., in the sidebar.
This is where you can change displayed units and coordinate formats.
Click this button to place a waypoint on the map.
Click this button to start creating a route.
Click this button to create an area or polygon.
Click this button to start importing GPX, KML, KMZ, GeoJSON, or FIT Files.
(Pro tip: You can also import a file by dragging it onto the map.)
Click here to print your map.
(Available with a Premium Membership.)
2. Locate, Zoom, and 3D
Center the map on your current location.
(+) and (-) symbols zoom in and out from the center of the map.
3. Profile and Notifications
Click your user profile icon to open a dropdown menu. This menu includes:
- Data summary pages for each type of Saved Item (e.g., tracks, waypoints, etc)
- Your Team page, if you have one
- Your Profile page
- Your Subscriptions page
- Your Account Settings page
- Log Out
Click the bell to view your last 10 notifications.
4. Marked Location
Click anywhere on the map and the sidebar will open with information about that location, as well as actions to take with that location:
1. Click any point on the map:
2. The sidebar will open and show the Elevation and Coordinates at that location. Click the clipboard icon next to the coordinates to copy the coordinates to your clipboard.
3. Take one of several actions on that location. Click the three vertical dots menu for more options.
- Save a waypoint
- Create a route
- Share that location: clicking Share copies the URL to your clipboard
- Get driving directions: clicking Directions opens that location in Google Maps
4. View nearby Hikes. Click any Hike for more information and to highlight it on the map.