This article will show you how to download maps to use while offline and out of cell service.
Note: You must be logged in to the app and have a Membership or Premium Membership to download maps.
Video features the iOS app. The Android app may look slightly different.
1. Select the map source you want to download. [Premium Members can layer & download multiple map sources at one time.]
2. Navigate to the area you would like to download by:
- Panning the map
- Search Points of interests or trails by tapping the Search icon: iOS / Android
- Search using coordinates: iOS / Android
3. Tap the (+) icon.
4. Tap Download Maps
5. Tap and drag the dots at the corners of the highlighted rectangle to cover the area to be downloaded
- Note: When downloading multiple maps to cover a large area, you can overlap the download area and the app will not redownload previously downloaded areas.
6. Use the Max Zoom slide bar to adjust the detail level for the map download.
- Higher zoom = more detail
- Increasing the zoom level also increases the file size
- More info about zoom levels here
7. Tap "Save"
8. Add a name for your saved map or keep the auto-generated name
Downloading Multiple Maps
When you download new maps, already saved areas will display as colored boxes.
- The Red box with dots indicates the region you're currently downloading.
- Feel free to overlap these boxes. The app will not download the same map tiles twice.
You can check the status of your map downloads by following these steps:
- In the iOS app, tap the green Download Status icon on the main map.
- In the Android app, tap Saved icon > then select Downloads from the Saved menu.
Delete a Downloaded Map
- Tap the Saved folder icon to open the Saved menu.
- Select "Maps" from the Saved menu.
- Tap the dropdown arrow (on iOS) or long-press (on Android) the map name
- Tap "Delete"