This article includes an overview of these features found on the Main Map screen.
Video features the iOS app. Android app looks slightly different.
- Search - Accepts names of Points of Interests, trails, and waypoint coordinates.
- Full Screen Mode / Map Display Options - Tap to switch the main map into full screen mode. Long press to toggle on/off the control bars, stats bar, compass, rotation lock, and 3D button, scale bar, zoom buttons and cluster waypoints button
- Crosshairs - Locate and follow yourself
- Create - Record a track, add a waypoint, create a route, download a map, take a picture, import a file.
- Map Layers - Change the map layer displayed on the main map.
- Map - Show the main map if you are on another tab.
- Trip - Shows current stats and you have the option to record a track, take a picture, and check your GPS status.
- Discover - Find hikes, trails, trailheads, and places (POIs).
- Saved - View your saved tracks, routes, waypoints, folders, and maps.
- Settings - View help center articles, subscription information, force a sync with your web account, change units, manage map controls, and more.
- Map Info - Tap the "i" to access the legend and other map information for the current layers.
- Long press on the stats bar to change the stats displayed.
- Gaia GPS looks a bit different on a tablet. For an explanation of those differences, check out this article.
- Printing is only available at gaiagps.com and not in the app: Printing on GaiaGPS.com
Method 1: Pinch
To zoom in: place two fingers close together on the map screen and slide them apart
To zoom out: place two fingers apart on the map screen, and slide them together
Method 2: Tap
To zoom in: double tap the map with one finger
To zoom out: single tap the map with two fingers.
Method 3: Tap and Drag
To zoom in: Double tap the map and hold with one finger. Then slide towards the bottom of the screen
To zoom out: Double tap the map and hold with one finger. Then slide towards the top of the screen
Tap anywhere on the screen. The following information will display in the tap drawer:
- Elevation of the marked location
- Latitude and longitude of the marked location
- A list of saved items such as waypoints, tracks, and routes. Tap the item to view more details.
- A list of points of interest near the marked location: parks, trailheads, trails, and lakes.
Swipe up to view the entire drawer
From the tap drawer, you can also save the marked location as a new waypoint, route to the marked location, and easily share your coordinates.
Turn off the Tap Drawer
To turn off the tap drawer and have the app display an info bubble instead, tap Settings > Map Controls > Tap action and choose "Show info bubble."
Tapping on Saved Items
You can tap directly on saved items like waypoints, tracks, and routes to see options like edit, share, Guide Me, export, and choosing a folder.
Article is closed for comments.