What are the differences between the memberships for Gaia GPS?
Unlock Gaia GPS's potential with a Gaia GPS Membership or Premium Membership. Learn about the added features and maps that come with each membership level below.
If you are having trouble accessing your membership, downloading maps, or other membership questions, see the FAQs below.
Using Gaia GPS for Free
- route planning
- marking waypoints
- recording your trip
- using GPS
- taking pictures
- backing up your tracks to gaiagps.com
- sharing tracks with friends
- Access an extensive map catalog of over 50 base maps that spans worldwide topo, road, and satellite maps.
- Download maps for offline use (note that downloading layered maps requires a Premium Membership)
- Print maps from gaiagps.com
With a Premium Membership you'll get all Member and Free level benefits, plus:
- Unlock the full Gaia GPS maps catalog, with over 250 maps and overlays:
- NatGeo Trails Illustrated
- Backroad Mapbooks Canada
- ESRI World Imagery
- France IGN
- NeoTreks US Topo
- US Hunting Maps (GMUs, private land, public land, others)
- Use and download layered maps. Apply overlays to any map, such as hill-shading, contour lines, slope angle, and more.
Get a Discount When Your Purchase via gaiagps.com
When you purchase via gaiagps.com (instead of in the app), you can get a discount.
How do I know what membership I currently have?
To check what type of subscription you have and where you originally purchased it visit: https://www.gaiagps.com/user/subscriptions/
Will I lose my tracks, routes, waypoints if my membership expires or I change membership levels?
Your tracks, routes, and waypoints are not tied to your membership level so you will not lose any data if you cancel or upgrade your membership.
What happens if my membership expires or lapses?
You will automatically be switched over to the free membership level. You will continue to have access to Gaia Topo but all other map sources will be locked and you will no longer be able to access your downloaded maps or download any new maps. If you were a Premium member, map layering will also be locked.
What if my membership is not showing?
Most membership issues can be solved by verifying that you are logged into the app by following these steps:
- Open Gaia GPS > tap Settings > your email will be listed under "Account".
- If not, tap Account > Log In > Have an account? Sign in.
- If you don’t have a Gaia GPS account, create one by tapping "Start Exploring" and enter an email address and password.
- If you purchased your membership through the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store and you are logged in but your membership is still not showing up, tap the "Restore Purchases" button.
Can I use my membership on more than one device? Does my membership include my family?
Yes, you can absolutely use Gaia GPS on multiple devices and platforms with a single membership by logging in with the same account. Gaia GPS doesn't offer a family sharing plan, but you can use one membership on all of your phones by logging with the same email and password. When logged into the same account, your membership, tracks, routes, and maps will all sync between your phones.
Do I have to pay the full price to upgrade to Premium or can I pay the difference?
You will be charged a prorated amount if you decide to upgrade. The prorated total will display on the upgrade page: https://www.gaiagps.com/premium/
How do I change my membership?
Find out how to change or cancel your membership here: How Do I Cancel or Change My Subscription?
Can I get a free trial?
If you are interested in testing out the membership features before making a purchase, tap the "Help" button on the bottom of the screen so we can get you set up with a free trial.
What does a Legacy Membership include?
Legacy Membership has all the features of a Membership, but does not include:
- Ability to print maps on gaiagps.com
- Ability to use MapBox map sources (Satellite and Satellite with Labels)