Gaia GPS includes a wide variety of map sources to customize the map for different activities.
This article will show you how to:
- Change map sources
- Layer multiple sources
- Add new sources that are not in the default list
- Delete map sources
Note: You need a Premium Membership to view map sources other than Gaia Topo. A Premium Membership also allows you to layer maps together to create a custom view.
Change the map source (Layered Maps toggled on)
The map menu will look different depending on whether Layered Maps is toggled on or off. For the best map experience, we recommend turning on Layered Maps.
If you don't have a Premium Membership or if you want to use the app with layered maps off, see Change the map source (Layered Maps toggled off).
1. Turn on Layered Maps:
- Tap the layers icon in the upper right
- Tap Map Overlays.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and toggle on Layered Maps.
2. You can customize the map in several ways:
- Tap the green up arrow on a source from the Inactive list to make it Active on the map
- Tap the red x on an Active source to make it Inactive
Tap green up arrow to make source visible on map
Tap red x to make source inactive
- Adjust the opacity of a source by dragging the slider
- Drag and drop Active sources to change the order in which they appear on the map
Add new map sources
Gaia GPS has an extensive library of map sources. Popular sources include National Geographic Trails Illustrated, Private Land, Public Land, Slope Angle, and USGS Topo.
Tap the Add Layers button to explore the map library. You can search by name, view recommend map sources, or browse the categories.
When you find the source you want, toggle it on and it will be added to your Inactive list.
Then, tap the back arrow and make the source Active on the map by tapping the green up arrow.
Change the map source (Layered Maps toggled off)
Tap the layers icon in the upper right corner of the Map tab. The active source will have a blue checkmark next to the name. Tap another source to make it active. Close the drawer by swiping it down tapping the close button in the upper right corner.
Remove a map source from your Active or Inactive list
- Long-press the map layer you want to remove
- Tap Delete
- Alternatively, you can tap the Add Map Layers button, find the source, and toggle it off.
Map sources are blurry when offline
If the map source is blurry when you are offline, you may not have downloaded the map for offline use.
Map sources are blurry when online, don't show on the map, or partially show on the map
Try removing the map source that isn't working properly and the re-add it.
Article is closed for comments.