You can import files containing tracks, routes, areas, and waypoints into your Gaia GPS account. Supported file types are: GPX, KML, KMZ, GeoJSON, and FIT Files. You can import multiple files with this method.
- There is a limit of 1000 features per file. You can import multiple files, as long as each has 1000 or fewer features. For files exceeding that limit, you can use third-party software like Adze or GPS Track Editor to split the file into smaller files, or turn the file into a custom map layer.
1. Go to www.gaiagps.com/map
2. Click the upload button on the bottom left:
Or, drag the file(s) from your computer to anywhere on the map:
3. The file(s) will show up in the sidebar on the left. From there, you can deselect any items that you no longer want to import. Once you're done, click the Save Item button to save the items to your Gaia GPS account.
4. When you import file(s), a folder is automatically created that contains the imported file(s). This folder will be given a default name that matches the imported file name.
To rename the folder, click the drop-down arrow to the right of your profile name in the upper right corner and select Folders. Then, click a Folder to go to the Folder details page. Once on the detaisl page, click the title of the folder to rename it.
To move this folder or the files inside this folder, follow these steps: Managing Folders on gaiagps.com
5. You can find your imported file(s) through the Saved Items sidebar on the left side or by clicking on your name in the top right-hand corner and selecting the file type you'd like to view.
6. If you don't see some or all of your imports, make sure the Map Overlays are toggled on: Show or Hide Your Saved Data on the Map on gaiagps.com
7. To view the imported files in the app, sync your device with the website with these steps: Backup, Sync, and Transfer Your Data
Notes for specific file formats:
- The GeoJSON file must be a
- The file must have the extension
- KMZs are zip files. The KMZ must contain a file with the extension
- Associated photos are not imported
Common Questions and Troubleshooting
When you import waypoints, if the icon does not exist in the Gaia GPS icon list, it will be replaced with the default red marker. To change the icon, follow these steps: Edit Waypoints on gaiagps.com
Article is closed for comments.