This article will show you how to search for hikes, parks, trails, and places (places of interest or POIs) in the Gaia GPS app.
- Tap icons on the map to get detailed information and find nearby hikes.
- Search for trails or places on the main map by tapping the search icon. The names come from OpenStreetMap.
- Use the Discover tab to browse and search for known hikes around the world.
Tap Icons on the Main Map
You can tap on the map to get information about trails, parks, and places.
- Tap a trail or icon to bring up a flag with the name of the item and the Information icon.
- Tap the Information icon to bring up a details page for that item.
- Scroll down to see Hikes nearby.
4. Tap the download arrow to save the hike to your device.
Search Box on the Main Map
- Tap the search icon in the top menu bar and start entering your search term.
- As the list populates, you can tap an item to go there.
- Icons to the left indicate whether it is a park, trail, peak, etc. In the iOS app, you can filter the results by All, Hikes, Parks, Trails, and Places by tapping the heading above the results.
Using the Discover tab
1. Tap the Discover tab to find hikes and other routes. The page will automatically show popular hikes near your current location.
2. Tap the filter button to narrow these results by length or difficulty.
Note: it is not yet possible to filter by 4x4 in the Android version of the app.
3. Tap the Search Bar to "Find a Hike, Park, or Address"
4. Tap the result you are looking for to see a details page for that area
5. Scroll down the area page to find hikes in the area and select the hike you want; from here you can find details for the hike, read reviews, and view pictures.
6. Tap the Download icon to save this hike to your account.
7. Tap the three dots in the upper right corner to view other options such as Share or Guide Me.