Search for coordinates in the Search Bar
1. Open Gaia GPS > Map tab > Tap the Search Icon
2. Paste or type coordinates in the Search Bar. The app will accept the following formats:
- Decimal Degrees: 39.06301, -120.03327
- Degrees, Minutes, Seconds: 39º 3' 46.85" N, 120º 1' 59.78" W
- UTM: 10S 756690 4327959
3. Tap the coordinate result below the Search Bar. The app will zoom to the given coordinate and drop a label at that location.
4. A search result marker will show on the map. Tap + to save it as a waypoint.
Search for coordinates by adding a waypoint:
The app first needs to know what Datum and Coordinate Type you are looking for:
1. Set your preferred coordinate format by opening Gaia GPS Settings > Appearance
2. To create a new waypoint, tap the + icon in the top menu
3. Select 'Add Waypoint'
4. Fill in the coordinate information. This screen will prompt you to fill in the coordinate information based on the coordinate type selected.
5. You also have the option to name the waypoint and customize its icon.
6. Tap Save.
I always get a place in China when ai enter lat and long - weird
When using Degrees, Minutes, Seconds or Degrees Decimal Minutes coordinates to create a waypoint, check the east/west option that is selected; the direction that is grayed out represents the current selection. Sorry for the confusion.
For North America, you'll want to set the Longitude to West.
Can you search from the webpage map?
Yes, you can enter lat/long coordinates into the Search Bar on gaiagps.com to jump to a specific location.
Article is closed for comments.