This article will show you how to get turn-by-turn directions for driving, cycling, and hiking routes using the Guide Me feature.
Guide Me Along a Specific Route
1. Create a route in the app or on the web. Be sure to use the correct code - driving, cycling, or hiking - for your activity.
2. Tap on the route on the map > tap More from the tap drawer > Guide Me. Or, find the route in the Saved menu with these steps: Tap Saved > select Routes from your Saved menu filter > tap on the route name > on the route's detail page, select Guide Me
3. A box will pop up asking if you'd like to record a track while following a route. Tap "Yes" or "No". Tracks are not automatically recorded when you follow a route, so be sure to choose "Yes" if you want a track.
4. Turn-by-turn directions will display at the top of the screen. If you are not near the start of the route, it will tell you to a direction and distance to the start of the route.
Once en route, the top menu will show your next turn:
5. To view the full list of directions, tap the route information bar at the bottom of the screen. Then, tap Directions.
6. Tap Done to return to the map & navigation screen
7. Tap End to exit out of the navigation screen for the route.
Guide Me from your Current Location to a Tap Marker or Waypoint
You can also tap on the map ("tap marker") or a waypoint and then select Guide Me.
When you are on Wifi or have a strong cellular signal and select Guide Me for a waypoint, the app will give you a choice between turn-by-turn directions or straight line guidance.
If you are offline or in airplane mode, the app won't be able to generate turn-by-turn directions for a tap marker or waypoint. If you want to use turn-by-turn directions offline, be sure to create a route when you are online - see Guide Me Along a Specific Route.
When offline or in airplane mode, if you use Guide Me for a tap marker or a waypoint, it will show you a straight line to the destination.
Follow these steps to enable spoken instructions during turn by turn routing:
1. Tap Settings
2. Tap Turn-by-Turn Routing
3. Toggle on Enable Verbal Instructions
Also, be sure to check that your Android notification volumes are turned up.
- Open the Settings app > Sounds and Vibration > Volume > adjust your System and Notification volumes
Article is closed for comments.