Photos in the iOS app can be exported as KML or GPX file. Alternatively, you can select to have your photos taken in Gaia GPS automatically save to your device's Photo Library. Photos can then be exported and managed directly from the Photo Library app.
Save photos to Photo Library app
- From the Main Map screen, tap the Settings button
- Tap 'Other'
- Toggle 'Save to Photo Library' to the On position
If you already have photos saved to the app when this setting was toggled off, you can export them individually to your desktop computer by following these steps.
Export a GPX or KML File with Photos
- Choose the Track or other item to export from your Saved list
- Tap the Action Icon in the top right corner, then select "Export"
3. Choose your preferred file type.
4. Choose your preferred export method
GPX Export Notes:
- When exporting a GPX file with photos using the iOS Mail app, photos will display in the body of the email message if the total file size is less than 20-25 MB. You will be prompted to select the image size (small, medium, actual size) to reduce the overall size of the message.
- For medium-sized messages, photos will appear in a photos.zip file attached to the message.
- Larger exports of photos can be sent using iCloud’s built-in Mail Drop feature.
KML Export Notes:
- Photos are embedded in a KMZ file. They can be viewed in outside software that supports the KMZ/ KML format.
- Photos will not display in KMZ files exported from Gaia GPS and imported to Google Earth (web browser version). Photos will display in the Google Earth Pro (desktop version).