Photos in the iOS app can be exported as KML or GPX file. Alternatively, you can select to have your photos taken in Gaia GPS automatically save to your device's Photo Library. Photos can then be exported and managed directly from the Photo Library app.
Save photos to Photo Library app
- From the Main Map screen, tap the Settings button
- Tap 'Other'
- Toggle 'Save to Photo Library' to the On position
If you already have photos saved to the app when this setting was toggled off, you can export them individually to your desktop computer by following these steps.
Export a GPX or KML File with Photos
1. Tap the Saved button in the bottom tab bar.
Note: Photos are stored as waypoints in the app.
You can export photos from any of the following items:
- A track, route, or area/polygon with associated photo waypoints
- A folder of photo waypoints
- An individual photo waypoint
2. Tap an item in the list to see the details page for the item.
3. Tap the Share button
4. Tap Export
5. Choose your preferred file type. For exporting photos, GPX or KML are the best options.
- If you wish to save the photos directly to the iPhone Photos app, choose GPX and then choose "Save # images" as shown in Step 5 below.
- If you want to email, cloud-share, or Airdrop the item (a track or folder, for example), along with the photos, choose GPX.
- If you want to use the item in Google Earth, choose KML.
GPX Export Notes:
- When exporting a GPX file with photos using the iOS Mail app, photos will display in the body of the email message if the total file size is less than 20-25 MB. You will be prompted to select the image size (small, medium, actual size) to reduce the overall size of the message.
- For medium-sized messages, photos will appear in a photos.zip file attached to the message.
- Larger exports of photos can be sent using iCloud’s built-in Mail Drop feature.
KML Export Notes:
- Photos are embedded in a KMZ file (KMZ = zipped KML file). They can be viewed in outside software that supports the KMZ/KML format, such as Google Earth.
- Photos will not display in KMZ files exported from Gaia GPS and imported to Google Earth (web browser version). Photos will only display in the Google Earth Pro (desktop version).
5. Choose your preferred export method.