This article will show you how to turn Map Packs on and off, and how to use Map Packs in the Android app.
Note: This feature is in beta, meaning that we are still collecting feedback on the design. As a result, it's not yet possible to sync Map Packs to the website, and if you log out of or delete the app, your Map Packs will not be saved.
What are Map Packs?
Map packs are a powerful and flexible way of managing map sources. You can save combinations of layers and opacities to make them easy to load on the map for specific activities.
Turn Map Packs on or off
If Map Packs are not enabled, you will see the Standard Map Menu. To enable map packs, tap Settings > Map Controls > toggle on Map Packs.
When you turn Map Packs on, your current combination of active layers is automatically turned into a map pack. The default name will look something like "Layered Map 4/5/22, 11:00 AM"
Using Map Packs
1. Tap the layers icon in the bottom left corner to open the Map Packs menu
2. From the Map Packs menu, you can:
- Make an Existing Map Pack Active on the Map
- Make an Overlay Active on the Map
- Browse and Add Curated Map Packs
- Create Your Own Custom Map Packs
- Edit or Delete Map Packs
Make an Existing Map Pack Active on the Map
Tap a map pack to make it active on the map. The active Map Pack will be highlighted in gray.
Make an Overlay Active on the Map
You can put a transparent overlay like Air Quality, Wildfires, Slope Angle, or Private Land on top of the active Map Pack. This is particularly useful if your Map Packs only one base map, like Gaia Topo or Satellite.
1. Tap an overlay to make it active on the map.
2. It's possible to have multiple overlays active, and all active overlays will be highlighted in gray.
3. Tap an overlay again to deactivate it.
4. Long press on an overlay to adjust the opacity, then tap Save to save the changes.
5. You can also long press on the overlay to view the description and map legend of the source, or to remove the overlay.
Browse and Add Curated Map Packs
The Gaia GPS cartography team curated several popular map combinations. You can add one of these Map Packs with these steps:
1. Tap Map Layers icon > Add Map Packs
2. Search or scroll the list, or select a category icon to see the available Map Packs. Tap on a Map Pack to get more information about it.
3. Tap Add (upper right corner) to add the Map Pack to your Map Packs Menu. Before tapping Add, you can optionally adjust the opacity and order of the layers. After you tap Add, the Map Pack will appear in the Map Packs menu.
4. Tap back, select the Map Pack, and then tap the 'x' in the upper right-hand corner of the drawers or swipe the drawer down to see the Map Pack active on the map.
Create Your Own Custom Map Packs
You can create your own Map Pack with any combination of sources. Here's how:
1. Tap Map Layers icon > Add Map Packs > Build a New Map Pack
2. Tap Add Layers. You can find sources by searching, looking in the Recommended menu, or browsing the All Layers categories. You'll find popular overlays like Private Land and Slope angle in the Feature/Weather Overlays category.
3. When you find a source you want to include in the Map Pack, tap on it. This takes you to an information page about the source. Tap Add in the upper right corner. Tap the back button to go back to the add sources view. Add more sources if desired.
4. Tap the back arrow until you are on the edit view. If desired, adjust the sliders and drag and drop the sources to change the order. Drag the drawer down to see a preview of the Map Pack on the map. Tap the Edit Info button to give your Map Pack a name and description.
5. Tap Add to save your custom Map Pack. This will take you back to the Search Map Packs view.
6. Tap the back arrow. This will take you to the initial Map Packs view, where you'll see that your new Map Pack is available to select in the Map Menu. Tap the custom Map Pack to make it active on the map. Swipe the drawer all the way down or tap the 'x' to return to the main map.
Edit or Delete Map Packs
With Map Packs enabled, you may need to edit the Map Pack to adjust the opacity of the sources in the Map Pack. Follow these steps to edit the sources, opacities, name, or the description of a Map Pack:
1. Tap the Map Layers icon > Long Press on a Map Pack to Edit
2. Adjust the opacity of sources by dragging the slider.
3. Change the order of sources by dragging and dropping them.
4. Remove a source from the Map Pack by clicking the red minus icon on the left side.
5. Add more sources from the Add Layers button.
6. Tap Edit Info to update the name or description.
7. Tap Save a Copy to make a copy of the current Map Pack. The copy will be loaded in the current edit view, and any edits you make will be saved to the copied Map Pack.
8. Tap Delete to permanently delete the map pack.