This article will show you how to take a new picture, or add one to an existing waypoint or track.
Take a New Photo
1. To take a picture at any time, tap the + icon in the top menu and select 'Take Picture'. With this option, a waypoint will also be created for the picture to be attached to at your exact GPS location.
2. To take a picture while recording a track, tap the camera icon that appears next to the track timer. If you don't see a camera button, long press on the stats bar to reveal a menu to choose the buttons. This will also take a picture at your current location, and the image will be tied directly to your track.
3. You can also take a picture from the Trip Screen
- Tap Trip in the bottom menu bar
- Tap the Camera icon on the next page
Add a photo to an existing track, route, or waypoint
1. You can also add a new photo to an existing track, route, or waypoint. To do that:
- Navigate to your saved menu and open the details for your track, route or waypoint
- Tap the Add Photos button
- Select either 'Take Picture' or 'Choose Saved Photo'. Choosing a saved photo will allow you to add a photo saved to your phone's Photo app.
- Photos must be .jpeg or .png. Videos are not supported.
2. You can also choose to automatically save new pictures taken in Gaia GPS to your device's Photo Library. To do that:
- From the Main Map screen, tap the Settings button
- In the Settings Menu, tap 'Other'
- On the next page, toggle 'Save to Photo Library' to the On position
This does not appear to be a feature on the Android side. Is that correct? I'm having no luck uploading photos via gaiagps.com -- continually getting a "null" popup.
You can take pictures in the Android app, but not add existing ones from your camera roll. Here's the help article for taking pictures on Android: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003526347
Also, here are instructions to add existing photos to your account on gaiagps.com: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003640468
If you're having trouble adding photos on the website, can you click Submit a Request above to send a bug report to the support team? Let us know what browser you're using, and the steps we can take to replicate the issue.
I usually retouch my photos at home but when I go to add them to my recorded track it seems that my current location is reflected in the app rather than the location recorded in the photo. I suppose this might be intentional so that photos can be taken while not recording a track but its not ideal when replacing photos with retouched versions. Am I missing something or is it best to use the website for this vs. the iOS app?
Your photos should retain their location tags whether they are added to your track within the app or on gaiagps.com.
Can you click 'Submit a Request' above to contact the support team, and include one of the retouched photos and a link to your track?
Article is closed for comments.