We understand battery drain is a concern on longer trips, so here are some tips for conserving battery in the backcountry.
Things you can do to increase the battery life of your device:
- Lower the brightness
- Restrict iOS location services so that only Gaia GPS pulls your location while you hike
- Record your hike in Airplane Mode to block your device from searching for cellular data
- Collapse the compass band: The app will not use location services to find your compass direction
- Long press on the Full Screen icon
- Tap the compass display toggle
Apple has a useful site that lists ways to preserve battery life. Additionally, Adventure Alan has a very informative website that explains how to use the iPhone as a GPS tracking device, including detailed information on reducing battery loss.