This article will show you have to customize Gaia GPS for any situation, whether that be switching the main color scheme of the app to clearing any map tiles that have been cached. Adjusting these settings is the best way to have a personalized version of Gaia GPS.
Adjust In-App Settings:
Tap the Saved menu icon:
On iPhone: Bottom Control bar
On iPad: Left Sidebar
- User Manual and Support
- User Manual for gaiagps.com
- Release Notes
- Contact Support
Manage your account: Go to the Account section of the Settings menu.
- Change Email - Change the email associated with your Gaia GPS account
- Reset Password - Reset the password for your Gaia GPS account
- Log Out - Log out of your Gaia GPS account in the app
- Delete Account - Permanently delete your data from Gaia GPS and all other Outside brands
- Sync/Backup - Toggle on to auto-sync with GaiaGPS.com
- Last Sync - Date of last full sync
- Default Sharing - Pick the default setting to publish new data you create as public or private.
- Trial membership - Number of days remaining in your free trial
- Purchase Subscription - Purchase either Gaia GPS Membership or Gaia GPS Premium
- Restore Purchase - Add a previously purchased Gaia GPS Membership or Gaia GPS Premium to the app
Coordinate Type - Used when entering or viewing coordinates. Available coordinate types are:
- Decimal Degrees
- Degree, Minutes, Seconds
- Degrees, Decimal Minutes
- Datum - WGS84 or NAD27
- Units - Metric or Imperial
- Distance - Standard or Nautical
- App Icon: Change the color of the app icon to a custom color option or style
- Colors - Select Colors for the App and Colored Text
- Add Menu Location: Change the Add Menu location on the main map to left or right
- Minimize Add Menu: Toggle on to hide button labels for the Add Menu on the main map
- Keep Menu Open: Toggle on to keep the Add Menu open all the time on the main map
- Compass: Toggle on to display a compass icon
- Stats Bar: Toggle on to display the stats bar
- Allow Rotation: Enable to manually change the map's orientation and override the north-up display of the map.
- Map Tap and Long Press Action: Change the tap and long press settings. They will automatically be set as Tap - Tap Drawer and Long press - Create Route.
- Cluster Waypoints: This option allows you to decide whether or not waypoints get grouped together when they are plotted closely. With this setting turned on, grouped waypoints will show a badge indicating how many are in a group
- Smaller Waypoint Markers: Toggle on to shrink waypoint icons when zoomed out
- Layered Maps: Toggle on to enable map layering
- Saved Items: Toggle on to make saved items, such as public tracks, waypoint labels, and saved hikes visible on the map
- Map Packs: Turn on map packs to use map presets curated by the Gaia GPS team, or create your own map pack so you can always have your favorite map combinations at your fingertips
- Auto-resume - When turned on, map downloads will automatically resume when launching the app
- Last Integrity Check - Date of last data integrity check. Tap to check for missing tile data for map layers (typically not used)
- Distance Interval Settings: Click here to read about distance interval settings options.
- North Reference - True or Magnetic
- Compass Warning - Disable or Enable to use the built-in iOS compass calibration. Your device will only prompt for compass calibration if it detects there is a problem
- Map Arrow - Toggle the map arrow between "Course" and "Compass" Modes
- Keep Screen On - Keeps the screen illuminated while Gaia GPS is open. Toggle off to maximize battery life.
- Disable Altitude Lookup - Disable elevation lookup for routes and waypoints. If this is toggled on, elevation stats will not be reported correctly when creating new routes or waypoints. Toggle on to maximize battery life.
- Sync Photos on Cellular - this allows the app to use cellular data to sync your photos to the GaiaCloud. Toggle off to save power or if the app is using too much data.
- Better location accuracy when plugged in: Toggle on for better location accuracy when the device is plugged in
- Storage Use - View how much storage Gaia GPS is using
- Clear Cache - Deletes a temporary cache of recently viewed map tiles
- Save to Photo Library - If this setting is "on", photos taken within the app will be automatically saved to your camera roll.
- Disable Analytics - If this setting is "on", developers are not provided with analytical and usage information; also causing customer support to be more difficult.
- Turn on current experimental features to test out in the app