This article will show you have to customize Gaia GPS for any situation, whether that be switching the main color scheme of the app to clearing any map tiles that have been cached. Adjusting these settings is the best way to have a personalized version of Gaia GPS.
Adjust In-App Settings:
Tap the Saved menu icon:
- On iPhone: Bottom Control bar
- On iPad: Left Sidebar
- Coordinate Type - Used when entering or viewing coordinates. Available coordinate types are:
- Decimal Degrees
- Degree, Minutes, Seconds
- Degrees, Decimal Minutes
- Datum - WGS84 or NAD27
- Units - Metric or Imperial
- Distance - Standard or Nautical
- Distance Interval Settings: Click here to read about distance interval settings options.
- Colors - Select Colors for App and Highlight Text
- Allow Rotation: Enable to manually change the map's orientation and override north-up display of the map.
- Compass: Toggle on to display a compass icon
- Stats Bar: Toggle on to display the stats bar
- Cluster Waypoints: This option allows you to decide whether or not waypoints get grouped together when they are plotted closely. With this setting turned on, grouped waypoints will show a badge indicating how many are in a group
- Layered Maps: Toggle on to enable map layering
- Auto-resume - When turned on, map downloads will automatically resume when launching the app
- Check Data Integrity - Checks for missing tile data for map layers (typically not used)
- Last Integrity Check - Date of last data integrity check
- North Reference - True or Magnetic
- Compass Warning - Disable or Enable to use the built in iOS compass calibration. Your device will only prompt for compass calibration if it detects there is a problem
- Map Arrow - Toggle the map arrow between "Course" and "Compass" Modes
- Keep Screen On - Keeps the screen illuminated while Gaia GPS is open. Toggle off to maximize battery life.
- Disable Altitude Lookup - Disable elevation lookup for routes and waypoints. If this is toggled on, elevation stats will not be reported correctly when creating new routes or waypoints. Toggle on to maximize battery life.
- Sync Photos on Cellular - this allows the app to use cellular data to sync your photos to the GaiaCloud. Toggle off to save power or if the app is using too much data.
- Storage Use - View how much storage Gaia GPS is using
- Clear Cache - Deletes a temporary cache of recently viewed map tiles
- Watch Display - Change what settings are visible for Gaia GPS on the Apple Watch
- Save to Photo Library - If this setting is "on", photos taken within the app will be automatically saved to your camera roll.
- Send Logs - Sends error logs to the developers if you are experiencing an issue
- Disable Analytics - If this setting is "on", developers are not provided with analytical and usage information; also causing customer support to be more difficult.
Manage Your Account:
Go to the Account section of the Settings menu.
- Sync/Backup - Toggle on to auto-sync with GaiaGPS.com
- Last Sync - Date of last full sync
- Auto-Publish - Option to auto-publish all finished Tracks
- Trial membership - Number of days remaining in your free trial
- Purchase Subscription - Purchase either Gaia GPS Membership or Gaia GPS Premium
- Restore Purchase - Add a previous purchased Gaia GPS Membership or Gaia GPS Premium to the app
- Change Email - Change the email associated with your Gaia GPS account
- Reset Password - Reset the password for your Gaia GPS account
- Log Out - Log out of your Gaia GPS account in the app
Why does my Settings display not show "Power Saving" option?
Sorry about that, we moved the option for 'Disable Altitude Lookups' to the Other category.
The option for 'No GPS Until Activated' got removed since we introduced the 'While Using' location option. You can change that from your device's General Settings > Gaia GPS > Location.
I went ahead and updated the article to reflect those differences.
I've been double charged. I renewed myself on 2/9 paying 39.99 and then Apple did an auto renew I did not know was going to happen on 2/17 for 31.74. How do we fix this. Can't get hold of Apple to stop auto pay and refund the 31.74.
@Patyacht I can definitely help with that. I'll send you an email with more information.
How do I delete my account?
Thanks for trying Gaia GPS. I have sent you an email with more information on deleting your Gaia GPS account.
How do I delete my account?
I've sent you an email with information on deleting your Gaia GPS account.
For future reference, you can click 'Submit a Request' above to contact the support team directly about deleting your account.
I signed up today and was changed 34.98 instead of the stated 19.99. I’m also having trouble canceling auto renewal. Please help me with this.
I just saw the email and my problems are solved. Thank you
I am and have been for several years a Premier Gaia member. I love this app! I am a hiking leader for a MeetUp hiking group, as well as a leader of my own private group. I use this app religiously 4+ times a week for all my hiking leader needs. As a challenged tech user, it took awhile to navigate through the app, but now I'm teaching other hiking leaders how to use it.
Two questions: when there is an update on my iphone (currently the ios 12.0) my Gaia app seems to lose it's way. I've been able to reinstall the app to my familiar usages, but most recently, the announcements are still not working while we are hiking, which we all love it when we hear "...miles". Thoughts?
My second question is whenever Gaia has updates, i'm not receiving notification unless I go on the App store and see it needs an update. when i update, I lose my settings again.
Again, this app, as my kids would say, is the bomb!
I'm sorry you are having issues with the latest update, I addressed each of your questions below:
Can you verify that the distance announcements are toggled on:
You can set Gaia GPS to automatically update by:
Can you also click “Submit a Request” above and let the support team know which settings were changed after updating?
Why do you not show how to change north south for latitude & east or west for longitude. I am stuck in china. I do not see a place for this adjustment. HELP!!!!!!
I'm sorry you are having an issue entering coordinates in the Gaia GPS.
The option to change latitude or longitude direction is displayed when Gaia GPS is set to using “Degrees, Decimal Minutes” or “Degrees, Minutes, Seconds” within the Units section of the Settings menu.
For more details, check out my answer to your other post.
I would like to delete my account
Thanks for writing into support. It looks like my coworker Erik was able to help you delete your account.
For future reference, if you need to delete your account, click 'Submit a Request' above to contact the support team directly.
Article is closed for comments.