This article will show you have to customize Gaia GPS for any situation, whether that be switching the main color scheme of the app to clearing any map tiles that have been cached. Adjusting these settings is the best way to have a personalized version of Gaia GPS.
Tap the Settings button in the bottom menu:
Settings Menu Layout and Options
- Sync With GaiaCloud. When toggled on, you can sync data back and forth between the website and the app: Backup, Sync, and Transfer Your Data.
- Use Cellular Data for sync. When toggled off, the app will only sync when connected to Wifi.
- Disable analytics. When toggled on, analytics, diagnostic, and usage information will not be shared with developers and the support team.
- Last Sync. Shows the date and time of the last successful sync. Tap "Last Sync" to force a sync.
- Subscription type. Shows subscription type, if any.
- Purchase subscription. Press this to buy a subscription through the Play Store. You can also also purchase on www.gaiagps.com and get a discount with these steps: Gaia GPS Discounts.
- Restore Purchases. Press this if you purchased a subscription through the Play Store but it's not showing in the app.
1. Change email. Change the email associated with the currently logged-in account.
2. Reset password.
3. Logout. Note - logging out of the device will delete all data on the device. Before logging out, sync your device: Backup, Sync, and Transfer Your Data.
Read more about Dark Mode here: Switch Between Light and Dark Mode
1. Dark Mode. When set to "Always," this changes the app menu bars and fonts to Dark Mode.
2. Dark Mode Maps. When set to "Always," this changes dark mode compatible maps (Gaia Topo, Gaia Streets) to Dark Mode.
Units (includes coordinate formats)
1. Metric Units. When toggled off, routes and tracks will use Imperial Units. When toggled on, routes and tracks will use Metric Units. Note: this will not change the contours on the map. For a map source with metric contours, use Gaia Topo (meters).
2. Nautical Units. When toggled on, routes and tracks will use Nautical units.
3. Select Coordinate Type. Choose from:
- Decimal Degrees
- Degrees Minutes Seconds
- Degrees, Decimal Minutes
- UTM Coordinates
- MGRS Coordinates
4. Coordinate Datum. Choose from WGS84 or NAD27.
- Location Marker Color. Change the color by tapping on the color box.
- True North Compass. Toggle between True and Magnetic North.
- Stats. Show or hide the Stats Bar at the top of the map.
- Compass. Show or hide the compass at the top of the map.
- Scale bar. Show or hide the scale bar in the bottom left corner of the map.
- Zoom label. Show or hide the zoom label in the bottom left corner of the map.
- Zoom buttons. Show or hide the zoom + / - buttons in the bottom right corner of the map.
- Map tilting. Toggle on map tilting, which allows you to drag the map with 3 fingers to change from an overhead view to a "flying forward" view.
- Map rotation. Toggle on or off map rotation, which allows you to spin the main map clockwise or counterclockwise.
- Cluster waypoints. When toggled on, if you have several waypoints in one area and are zoomed out, it will show as one waypoint with a number (e.g., 10 for 10 waypoints). As you zoom in, the waypoints will display normally.
- Layered Maps. Toggle on to use Layered Maps. Requires a Premium Membership.
- Track Width. Adjust the thickness of tracks and routes on the map.
- Active Track Width. Adjust the thickness of the track being actively recorded. If you make this wider than the standard track width, it will be easier to see the active track on the map.
- Tap Action. Change the preferred response when you tap on the map - tap drawer or info bubble.
- Long press action. Choose the preferred action when you long press on the map: create route, create waypoint, or show the tap drawer.
1. Keep Screen On. When toggled on, screen will always stay on.
1. Auto resume. When toggled on, any map downloads that have not finished will resume when the app is launched. Turning this setting off prevents your map downloads from automatically resuming over a cellular connection.
2. Check downloads. Re-downloads all maps to update tiles - typically only used for troubleshooting purposes.
1. Root Folder. If you have an SD card, you can set the app to store files that take up a lot of space, like saved maps and photos, on the SD card rather than internal storage. See: Move Where Gaia GPS's Root Folder is Located (For SD Card Storage).
2. Clear Automatic Map Cache. As you move the map, the app caches the commonly viewed areas to make them load faster. Clearing the cache may fix issues with some maps not displaying correctly.
3. Save Photos to Gallery. When toggled on, this will save photos taken via the Gaia GPS app to the Gallery App on your phone.
1. Release Notes. Click to view release notes.
2. User Manual and Support. Click to view the user manual and help articles for the Android app. The app version number (e.g., 2021.3) is listed under this button.
3. User Manual for gaiagps.com. Click to view the user manual and help articles for the website.
4. Send logs. Click to send an email containing device logs to the support team for troubleshooting. Before sending logs, please send Support an email with your issue.
5. Acknowledgements. View software and libraries used to make the app.
This section only displays with a Premium Membership.
1. Email Gaia GPS. Email us with a question or if you need technical support. You can also email us on the web here.
2. Call Gaia GPS. Call us for questions or technical support. Only available with Premium Membership.