Robust Announcement Feature
On a hike, while recording a track, one feature that would really come in handy is a robust information announcement feature for a hands-free and a hassle-free hike. GAIA currently has a rudimentary announcement by distance travelled only.
The announcements are usually based on two parameters. One is the trigger and another is the information content. For example:
Trigger: Announce when
- A user-settable distance (need not be discreet, which it is currently) is travelled
- User set elevation is gained/lost
- User set ascent is achieved (ascent is cumulative of all heights gained and is not same as elevation gained)
- Repeat announcement at each user set time interval (e.g. every 5 minutes)
- When the clock strikes a time (useful e.g. when the user has limited time and want to return at the set time)
- On-demand e.g. when the user clicks a volume button
- When an upcoming turn is coming or forks in the trail (would require a new turn-by-turn navigation feature)
The content of the announcement: This determines what to announce specific to each of the above triggers. This means each of the of above trigger could announce a different set of information from one or more of the following.
- Current time
- Distance travelled
- Time travelled
- Time stopped
- Current speed
- Average speed
- Current pace
- Average pace
- Total ascent
- Total descent
- Current elevation
- Elevation gained
- Calories spent (based on certain parameters)
- Current gradient
- Current temperature
- Step cadence
Such a robust feature is available in other sports app like Cyclemeter. I have to now run both GAIA and Cyclemeter when hiking and both consume iPhone battery power, which I want to avoid.
Please sign in to leave a comment.