I've had this installed for a short period and have purchased the premium option. I'll be hiking hundreds of miles in Canada, starting June and have bought it for that. It looks like a great app but I have a few ideas to improve it:
- A dark mode would be fantastic to increase the run time for OLED based devices.
- An option to switch off GPS in app to save battery life (I realise I can do it from the phone's menu but it's obnoxious to do it this way).
- Premium maps should be viewable for 2 hours prior to making a purchase, so that people know what they're buying.
- Ability to load Garmin .fit files *
- Improve the map download feature, so that you can draw a rough line rather than squares or even tell it what place you want to cover and it splits it up into several downloads. At the moment, I have to draw a square, if it's too big I can't download, then draw another square hoping to get it matched up with the previous square. I'd rather draw around the area I want to download and if it's too many tiles, then it says "this will be three downloads totalling XX gb"
- Show the progress of the map download. I don't honestly know if it's doing anything (unless I check with a net monitoring tool).
Point 4 is as complicated as you want it to be. It would be nice if I could connect my watch via USB-OTG to my phone and use the .fit file in your app. This part shouldn't be too difficult to code. The Garmin Connect app relies heavily on the internet and you cannot even view your track unless you have the internet.
Additionally, it would be even nicer if I could then export the .fit file as a GPX, from your app, and be able to import that into a Google Fusion table later on. I have been working on a publicly viewable map using Google Fusion tables, and I'd love something like that.
Using your services I can see my hikes on a privately viewable map but I don't believe there's a way to make it publicly viewable? My apologies if I'm mistaken.
Please sign in to leave a comment.