I was able to take the latest version for a test run yesterday. The new icons are great but the android version has a ways to go before it's equivalent to iOS. Here are a few things I noticed.
- The waypoint icons tend to disappear when you zoom in/out, switch to the trip screen and back to the map. Eventually they seem to reappear on their own.
- The recording track path stops showing the recorded path behind you. If you switch to the trip screen and back it fills in up to the current location but then stops displaying going forward again.
- The recorded track path is HUGE. It's like a giant crayola marker on the screen. Makes it nearly impossible to backtrack along the recorded path because it's too big. This should be greatly thinned down.
- When you turn off the option that always puts your current direction north, say to pan forward on the map to see what might be coming, it looks like it always reorients the map to North being at the top. It was completely reversing the map for me making it really awkward to determine my current direction. It would be nice to have an option to disable that and not change the orientation of the map when you disengage the track direction mode.
- More of a nitpick but the image in the new icons seems to be shifted towards the bottom vs. being centered in the icon.
- It would really be nice to spread the icons/functions along the top of the map out like they are on iOS. I wanted to record a waypoint but kept hitting the directional mode and vice versa.
- The iOS version just seems buttery smooth with panning around the map, zooming in and out, where the android version seems to lag. It's usable, but very noticeable. Could be the difference in hardware, the Tab A is starting to get dated and my iPhone device is the new X.
My tablet device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 inch, model SM-T350. Android Version: 7.1.1.
Every update the android version does get better!
Post is closed for comments.