This article will show you how to create and edit routes using either the snap-to-trail or straight line route builder. The routing feature will also measure distances within the app.
Video features the iOS app. The Android app may look slightly different.
1. From the main map, tap the + icon
2. Select “Create Route”
3. Choose between the different snap-to-trail modes: Hiking, Cycling, and Driving. Select Straight Line mode to manually plot the route.
- To use snap-to-trail routing while offline, you must download the Offline Route Data in advance. Offline routing is available in Android v2021.5 and later and iOS v2021.7 and later. Toggle on Offline Route Data when downloading a new map or creating a route.
- The snap-to-trail feature utilizes OpenStreetMap data. Use OSM-based sources like Gaia Topo, Outdoors, Landscape, and OpenCycleMap HD for best results. You can tap the layers icon to change the map source during route creation.
4. Tap and drag the blue dot to the start of your route
5. Tap and hold anywhere on the screen to plot your next point
- While using a snap-to-trail mode, your route will snap to existing trail data
6. To edit the route or add a waypoint, tap one of the blue dots.
7. Then, tap the pencil icon to add a waypoint to the route or delete the blue dot.
8. When you finish plotting the route, tap Save at the top-right of the screen.
9. Name your route then tap Save or Done.
Select offline maps to download along the route. If you'd like to create additional routes while offline, make sure the Offline Route Data is toggled on.
Under Resolution, select one of the following options:
- One layer toggled = the toggled map will be downloaded at your selected resolution (low, medium, high)
- Multiple layers toggled = a layered map of your toggled map sources will be downloaded at your selected resolution (low, medium, high)
Please note a Gaia GPS Membership is required to download offline maps.
Edit an Existing Route
By opening a route in edit mode, you have to option to extend the route, modify the beginning of the route, or completely re-route any section of the original route.
- Add another point to the end of the route - Long-press any spot on the map to add a new point to the end of your route.
- Reposition points - Tap and hold on a point and reposition it.
- Delete points - Tap on a point, tap the pencil icon and then select "Delete".
- Name a point - Tap on a point, tap the pencil icon and then select "Name Waypoint"
- Add points to the middle of the route - Tap and drag any of the interval distance markers to add a new point along the route.
Note: Screenshot from iOS app, Android app is very similar
5. Tap "Save" to save your edits.