This article will show you how to convert a track to a route using third-party software called GPSBabel. Only Gaia GPS routes, not tracks, can be sent to the Apple Watch. This will allow you to convert a previously recorded track and then send it to the Apple Watch.
Here is how to convert your GPX file from a track to a route on GPS Babel:
First, download, install, and open GPS Babel.
Then, follow these steps in the software:
- Select input format. Usually the the file will have a ".gpx" and the format to choose in the drop down will be GPX XML, but if you have a different file, search the dropdown for the appropriate type.
- For Input File Name, select the file to be transformed.
- Select GPX XML as output format.
- Choose a name and location for the output file.
- Select Filter to bring up the filter menu.
- In the Data Filters menu, select Miscellaneous> Transform > Tracks to Routes > OK
- Select OK to transform your file
If you want to send the route to the Apple Watch, you can then import the file to Gaia GPS:
- Import GPX and KML files into the iOS app
- Import GPX and KML files into the Android app
- Import GPX, KML, KMZ, GeoJSON, or FIT Files on gaiagps.com
And then send the route to Apple Watch: Gaia GPS on Apple Watch