This article explains how to pause and resume a map download. This can come up if you are installing Gaia GPS on a new device, and you want to download maps for a trip, but you don't want to download your older maps at the moment.
Halt Downloads for a Session
To halt downloads for a session, tap the progress button on the map, and press Stop.
All existing downloads will halt until the app is restarted. You can then resume individual downloads, or create new ones.
Halt Downloads Entirely
To halt downloads and prevent them resuming in future sessions, go to the Settings tab, choose "Map Downloads,", and disable the "Auto-resume" switch.
Resume Individual Downloads
You can resume any particular map download by viewing it in the Saved tab. Then:
1. Tap the Action icon.
2. Tap "Resume Download".
- Note: leave the app in the foreground to complete the download.
Completed downloads no longer offer the Resume Download option.
Resume All Downloads
You can resume all map downloads from the Saved tab or from the progress button.
- Open the Saved tab.
- Then, tap the top left filters button, and select Maps.
- Then tap the top right action button
- Choose "Resume All Downloads."
- From the main map, tap the green box with an exclamation point or a spinner in the top left corner
- Here you can view the download status of your maps
- Tap Resume in restart all your downloads
Cancel by Deleting
Deleting a map will also cancel its download.
Sometimes, if you want to halt a map download, you might be better off deleting the map. Later, you can even "undelete" maps via gaiagps.com, or make new ones.
Downloads on Cellular/4G
When you create a map download when using cellular (not on wifi), Gaia GPS will ask you to confirm you want to download over cellular.
In addition, when on cellular, Gaia GPS will not automatically resume large map downloads, and you have to manually force it to do so if as described above.