Heading into the backcountry or simply wanting to conserve your battery on your hike? No problem, download an offline map for the area and utilize Gaia GPS's ability to navigate offline. This article will show you how to quickly find the area your will be visiting, download offline maps for the area, and how to check the status of the downloads.
iOS user? Check out this article.
Navigate to an area for download on the main map of Gaia GPS by:
- Searching for a nearby landmark or road
- Inputting a set of Lat/Long coordinates in the search bar
- Loading saved data for the area on the main map
- Panning/zooming the map manually
To download the map:
2. Tap the Create icon.
3. Tap Download Maps at the bottom of the Create screen
4. Drag the dots at the corners of the highlighted rectangle, to select the area of the map you would like to download.
5. Make sure to adjust max zoom levels. Note: more zoom = more detail you will be able to see on the downloaded map. However, the amount of space the map will take up on your device also increases.
6. Tap "Save"
7. Choose a name for your saved map or keep the auto-generated name