When the Gaia GPS watch app is paired with Gaia GPS on your iPhone or iPad, your Apple Watch will give you the ability to see your location, pause recording and check stats all at a glance.
Setting up Gaia GPS on Apple Watch
To make using Gaia easier on the watch, you can add it to your "glances" (Watch OS 1 & 2) or "dock" (Watch OS 3). Find the Apple Watch app on your device, select "glances" and add Gaia GPS to the list.
Watch OS 1 & 2
Watch OS 3
You can choose which stats are readily available on the watch.
- GPS satellite strength
- Total ascent and descent*
- Current Speed
* The time, pace, distance, and ascent/descent stats are only displayed on the watch app when recording a track.
To add stats:
- Open Gaia GPS on your iPhone or iPad
- Go to "Settings"
- Scroll to the bottom and select "Watch Display"
- Long-press and drag stats up to SELECTED
Start recording from your mobile device, and pause from the watch.
The first screen will show recording time. Tap once to pause and again to continue.
You can also mark a waypoint from this screen
The Map Screen
The third screen is a live preview of the map screen. Follow your progress and check your location without taking out your phone.
Zoom on the map and center on location. Hard press the screen to bring up the options to zoom in/out and go to location.
Notes on Battery life:
- Tips on improving battery life with Gaia GPS .
- Connecting the watch to your device using bluetooth provides an additional battery drain. If you are planning a longer hike, we recommend an additional battery or charging unit.
There are 2 different error messages you might see for maps on the Apple Watch:
- "Unable to load map" - This happens when the map is not downloaded, or you zoom in closer than the map is downloaded.
- "Map source not available offline" - This happens when trying to use a vector-based map source on the watch. These sources are not compatible with the watch. When the phone is online, servers can render these maps on the watch, but downloaded maps for these sources won't display while offline. Vector sources include all MapBox sources and Gaia Topo.